Welcome!! So happy you could join me today. I’ve got two very vintage shabby chic cards to share. This is my favorite type of card to create. Each card was created with a specific person in mind, so that makes them extra special to me. Hope you agree.
The first one I worked on was the beautiful monochromatic Butterfly Brilliance card. Soft Sea Foam is fast becoming on elf my favorite greens, right behind Old Olive.
This one is for my daughter, Jennifer. Her birthday is this weekend. She loves to garden and likes things more on the elegant side. Her back yard is a haven for butterflies, birds and her new little squirrel. There are flowers everywhere. It’s a very English Cottage Garden look. So it was quite easy for me to choose the Butterfly Brilliance bundle to start things off.
One of the elements of vintage shabby chic design is the use of layers. At least, I think so. So, I pulled out my Ornate Layers dies and began that process. The soft green of Soft Sea Foam really brought the elegance factor to the card.
The sweet little butterflies needed a landing area. I used our Heart Punch Pack to punch the images, but the white layer needed some texture. Because I embossed them with the Tasteful Textile 3D Embossing Folder, I achieved just the right amount of texture.
Keeping it simple, on the inside of the card, gave me lots of room to write a little note to Jennifer. I love the font in the stamp from the Best Year set. Ready for the second shabby chic design? This one is totally different with handmade flowers and an enchanted color palette.
Believe it or not, this card started with the selection of the designer series paper. The In Good Taste Designer Series Paper has many great background textures to choose from. I decided on the one that looks like stucco. Kicking it up a notch, I used the soon to be released Timeworn Type 3D Embossing Folder. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. I LOVE this folder and will be using it a lot.
Bringing in a little pink with the Hand-Penned DSP tied the design together, just like a present with the perfect bow. Did I mention both DSP packs are on sale? Scoop up a pack of each by August 2nd. Next in the design process, was creating a couple of handmade flowers. Yes, that is one of my favorite things to do.
I used the Poinsettia die set to create my handmade flowers. I’ve spritzed the petals with a concoction of 7 drops of Blushing Bride ink refill and rubbing alcohol. It gave the flower a dusty pink look, with some of the white still showing through.
The design is anchored with the gorgeous die cut from the Encircled in Beauty die set. There are so many possibilities with that one.
Sit back, relax and let me teach you the techniques I’ve used. I sure hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed creating them.
Here’s how the magic happens.
- Card #1 – Monochromatic Butterfly Brillance
- Card Base – Basic White CS – 6″ x 12″, scored @ 6″
- Inside Mats – Soft Sea Foam CS – 5 3/4″ x 5 3/4″ and Basic White CS – 5 1/2″ x 5 1/2″
- Embossed Mat – Soft Sea Foam CS – 5 3/4″ x 5 3/4″, embossed with the Parisian 3D Embossing Folder
- Accent Mats – Basic White CS – 2 @ 2 3/4″ x 5 1/2″ and Soft Sea Foam CS – two @ 2 1/4″ x 5 1/4″, cut with the dies from the Ornate Layers die set
- Focal Mats – Soft Sea Foam CS – 2 1/2″ x 3″. Basic White CS – 2 1/4″ x 2 3/4″, embossed with the Tasteful Textile 3D Embossing Folder.
- Hearts – Soft Sea Foam CS and Basic White CS – one each 2 3/4″ x 4 3/4″, punch two scallop hearts and two plain hearts. Emboss the white hearts with the Tasteful Textile 3D Embossing Folder.
- Butterflies – Basic White CS – 2″ x 4″, stamp two of the butterflies from the Butterfly Brilliance set in Soft Sea Foam and die cut with the Brilliant Wings die.
- Detail Butterflies – Vellum CS – 1 3/4″ x 3 1/2″, die cut with the Brilliant Wings dies. Color with the Dark Soft Sea Foam Blend.
- Sprigs – Basic White CS – 3″ x 5 1/2″, cut 3 single and 2 double images with the dies from the Sunflower die set.
- Small Flower and Leaves – Punch images with the Strawberry Builder Punch. Basic White CS – 3 flower images, Soft Sea Foam CS – 1 leaf image.
- Basic Pearls – 12 small, color three with the Dark Soft Sea Foam Blend.
- Sequins – 6 clear from the Expressions in Ink Ephemera Pack.
- Ribbon – Basic White Crinkled Seam Binding – 3 loop bow, about 30″
Shabby Chic Card #1 – Supply List
Shabby Chic Card #2 Forever Grateful
- Card Base – Basic White CS – 6″ x 12″, scored @ 6″
- Inside Mats – Blushing Bride CS – 5 3/4″ x 5 3/4″ and Basic White CS – 5 1/2″ x 5 1/2″
- Focal Mat – Basic White CS – 5 1/4″ x 5 1/4″
- DSP Mats – In Good Taste DSP – 5 3/4″ x 5 3/4″, embossed with the Timeworn Type 3D Embossing Folder. Hand-Penned DSP – 5″ x 5″, rough the edges with the blade of your scissors.
- Circle Die-Cut – Basic White CS – 4 1/4″ x 4 1/4″, cut with the dies from the Encircled in Beauty die set
- Flowers – Basic White CS – 6 1/2″ x 5 3/4″, cut with the dies from the Poinsettia die set. Cut 2 medium, 3 small and four centers. Spritz all with a spritzer filled with 7 drops of Blushing Bride ink refill and rubbing alcohol. Shape flowers as shown in the video.
- Leaves – Soft Sea Foam CS – two @ 3″ x 4 1/4″, cut with the die from Forever Flourishing die set
- Vines – Soft Succulent CS – 3 1/2″ x 6 1/2″, cut two with the die form the Grapevine die set.
- Sprigs and Hearts – Gray Granite CS – 2 1/2″ x 4 1/4″, cut one tall sprig with the die from the Poinsettia die set. Cut three small sprigs with the dies from the Forever Flourishing die set. Cut two flower centers with the die from the Poinsettia die set. Cut the hearts with the die from the Floral Heart die set.
- Copper Swirls – Copper Foil – five @ 3/4″ x 1 3/8″, cut with the die from the Grapevine die set.
- Loops – Gray Granite CS – 8 1/2″ long, cut 4 or 5 slivers
- Sentiment – Basic White CS – 1 1/4″ x 2 1/4″,cut with the die from the Stitched So Sweetly die set.
- Brushed Metallic Adhesive-Backed Dots – one medium and one large in copper.
Shabby Chic Card #2 Product List
Which one is your favorite? I can’t choose because each one is special in it’s one way. I hope you give one or both a try. Would love to hear from you if you did. Until next time, Create Something Beautiful!