First, sorry I’ve been a little MIA. I caught some respiratory bug and have been sick for 2 weeks. I’m finally starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks to all that sent so many get well wishes. They meant the world to me. Getting back into the swing of things though, I experienced a little loss of mojo. Yes, it happens to me too! But, I always know that I can get things back on track with a WOW Card Sketch.
A card sketch is a quick and easy way create cards in a flash. I would love to start a new series on my blog and YouTube channel. But, I need your help. Would you like to see a WOW Card Sketch series? Is this something you would find helpful? Leave a comment and let me know. I used this sketch to create three different styles. Today, let’s dive into my Gather Together Fall inspired card.
Once I drew the sketch, got all my dimensions nailed down, my next decison was a theme. Mine was Fall and a season of thanks. What better set than the Gather Together bundle. The #1 rule in using a sketch, don’t get stuck on making the WOW Card Sketch to literal. It’s only a guide.
You can see here that I turned the focal image in order for it to meet my needs and use of my “pretties”. Those leaves are over the top gorgeous. The dies in the Gathered Leaves set cut and emboss at the same time. I spritzed my Pretty Peacock card stock with a little Champagne Shimmer Mist, then ran it through my die cutting machine. Instantly you get a great embossed and sparkly image.Gotta love that!!
Because I wanted to finish off the inside of my card, I added a Very Vanilla mat and went to stampin’. That’s what we do best, right?
Then, by using my WOW Card Sketch, I pulled that gorgeous Come to Gather designer series paper and cut my mats. If you guys know me at all, you know I love rich Fall colors. My color palette is Early Espresso, Cajun Craze, Merry Merlot and Pretty Peacock. Choosing Very Vanilla for my neutral, tied everything together.
Want to see how quick and easy this card comes together? I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube Channel. Be sure to hit the “bell” when you do. By doing that you’ll get notifications when I upload a new creation.
I’ve got a challenge for you. Create a card using my sketch, post it in the comments on my WOW NOLA Creations Facebook page for a chance on my prize wheel. The prize up for grabs is the Winter Knit 3D Embossing Folder. I can’t want to see your creations.
Here’s how the magic happens.
- Print off or refer to my WOW Card Sketch #1
- Card Base – Early Espresso CS – 4 1/4″ x 11″, scored at 5 1/2″
- Mat – Very Vanilla CS – 4″ x 5 1/4″
- Mat – Early Espresso CS – 3 3/4″ x 5″
- DSP Mats – Come to Gather DSP – three @ 3 1/2″ x 1 1/2″, ink the edges in Merry Merlot
- Stitched Label – Very Vanilla CS – 2 1/2″ x 4″, scut with the die from Stitched Nested Labels.
- Embossed Leaves – Pretty Peacock CS – 3″ x 3 1/2″, spritz the card stock with Champagne Shimmer Mist, cut with the dies from Gathered Leaves.
- Sentiment – Very Vanilla CS – 2″ x 2″, cut with the die from Ornate Frames.
- Large Leaf & Sentiment Frame – Cajun Craze CS – 5 1/2″ x 3″, stamp the large leaf in Cajun Craze, cut the leaf image with the die from Gathered Leaves. Cut the frame image with the die from Ornate Frames. Either spritz or highlight the frame edge with wink of stella.
- Inside Mat – Very Vanilla CS – 4″ x 5 1/4″, stamp the wheat, first and second general in Cajun Craze. Stamp the sentiment in Early Espresso.
WOW Card Sketch #1 – Gather Together Card Supply List
Thanks so much for stopping by, until next time, Create Something Beautiful!
Welcome! So happy you’ve stopped by today. Have you ever been in a creative slump? Need a mojo boost? I’ve got just the trick, my WOW Card Sketch #4. I love mixing things up with a good old fashioned card challenge. I’ve used a simple sketch, while kicking things up a notch, to create this fabulous card.
It’s a simple little sketch, but the possibilities are endless.
Want to play along? I’ve got a prize up for grabs. Be sure to stay with me to the end of this blog post for all the details and how to enter. But for now, I would love to share with you my interpretation of the sketch.
First of all, aren’t those images stunning? I’ve used the Parisian Blossoms Suite. You can find that one on page 15 of the Stampin’ Up! Mini Catalog. As a matter of fact, I’m in the middle of designing a WOW Class to Go! for May. Be on the lookout for that coming soon.
I love all the texture I was able to create, but all the while keeping true to my WOW Card Sketch #4. Above all, I wanted to be sure that I used the gorgeous Parisian Blossoms Specialty Designer Series Paper in the design. So glad I made that decision. It dictated my color palette of Petal Pink, Whisper White, Pool Party and Basic Black. Pretty dramatic, don’t you think?
Rather than totally coloring in that beautiful floral image, I decided to isolate the color. That gave things a soft, subtle look.
Finally, to finish off the inside greeting, I stamped off in Smoky Slate to get a “shadow” look. By doing so, it gave that sentiment a space to shine. Want to see how this one comes together? Here’s another FREE video tutorial for you. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel so you don’t miss any future classes.
First, things first, let me give you all the details to my WOW Card Sketch #4 Challenge. Here are the rules and how to enter your card in the prize drawing.
- All cards entered must use WOW Card Sketch #4.
- Use the basic measurements which are highlighted in yellow in the details below.
- Send a photo of your card to me via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline to enter Saturday, April 18, Midnight (CST).
Here’s how the magic happens.
- Card Base – Petal Pink CS – 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″, scored at 4 1/4″.
- Mats – Basic Black CS – two @ 4″ x 5 1/4″.
- Inside Mat – Whisper White CS – 3 3/4″ x 5″
- DSP Mat – Parisian Blossoms Specialty DSP – 3 3/4″ x 5″
- Embossed Accent – Champagne Foil – 2 1/4″ x 5″
- Accent Strip – Petal Pink CS – 3/4″ x 4″ and Basic Black CS – 1/2″ x 4″
- Focal Image – Ovals – (use can use any shape in your challenge card) Petal Pink CS – 3″ x 3 3/4″ and Whisper White CS – 2 1/2″ x 3 1/4″
- Floral Image – Whisper White CS – 3 1/4″ x 5 1/2″
- Swirl Die Cut – Basic Black CS – 2″ x 3″.
- Inside Accent Strip – Parisian Blossoms Specialty DSP – 5″ x 3/4″
- Sentiment – Basic Black CS – 1 1/2″ x 2 1/4″
WOW Card Sketch #4 – Parisian Blossoms Product List
I hope you decide to join in the challenge. Can’t wait to see all the designs. Until next time, Create Something Beautiful!
By popular demand, I’ve designed WOW Card Sketch #2 to share with you. Creating Christmas cards just got a whole lot easier with the Peaceful Boughs bundle. This beautiful set, with coordinating dies, can be found in the Holiday Catalog on page 15. Only a month left to order, but items are while supplies last. Don’t miss out.
I received so many requests to incorporate a card sketch series both here and on my YouTube Channel. So, here’s our WOW Card Sketch #2.
Just remember, the sketch is to inspire. You can tweak it, add a layer, or you can use as is. Be sure to post your creation on my WOW NOLA Creations Facebook Page. Your name will be entered on the prize wheel. Be sure to read the post for all the rules. Now, let’s take a closer look at the sweet Peaceful Boughs Christmas card created with this sketch.
Once I had the sketch nailed down, my next decision was a color scheme. I choice colors from the Wrapped in Plaid Specialty Designer Series Paper. Because I love rich warm colors, my palette includes Night of Navy, Shaded Spruce, Cherry Cobbler, Gold and a bit of Whisper White.
Dry embossing adds so much to a project. This time, the Subtle 3D Embossing Folder added just the right amount of texture to the Shaded Spruce mat. I think it really made the boughs pop. Next step was to complete the inside of the card.
Having fabulous large greetings, like the one in the Peaceful Boughs set, helps to finish things off. I stamped it in Night of Navy and added just a strip of the Wrapped in Plaid DSP. I’ve got a video tutorial for you as well. Enjoy!!
Here’s how the magic happens.
- Card Base – Night of Navy CS – 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″, scored at 4 1/4″. The card will fold on the left.
- Designer Series Paper Mat – Wrapped in Plaid Specialty DSP – 4″ x 4″
- Accent Band – Gold Foil – 4 1/4″ x 1/2″
- Focal – Night of Navy CS – 2 3/4″ x 3 1/2″ and Shaded Spruce CS – 2 1/2″ x 3 1/4″. Emboss the Shaded Spruce mat with the Subtle 3D Embossing folder.
- Sentiment – Whisper White CS – 3″ x 1 1/2″, stamped in Night of Navy. Cut the image with the die from the Beautiful Boughs set.
- Boughs – Gold Foil – 3 1/2″ x 3 1/2″, cut one medium and one small bough with the dies from Beautiful Boughs.
- Banners – Wrapped in Plaid Specialty DSP – three @ 3/4″ x 2″, punch one end of each with the Tailored Tag punch.
- Inside Mat – Whisper White CS – 4″ x 5 1/4″, stamp the sentiment in Night of Navy.
- Inside Accent Strip – Wrapped in Plaid Specialty DSP 3/4″ x 4″.
- Metallic Pearls – three gold
Peaceful Boughs Christmas Card with WOW Card Sketch #2 Product List
Thanks so much for stopping by. Until next time, Create Something Beautiful!
Ready for the WOW Card Sketch #3? Card sketches are a great way to get your mojo perculating. Why not start a WOW Card Sketch binder. It can be a great reference guide. Missed the first two? No worries, click here for #1 and #2.
For my entry in the sketch challenge, I wanted to show the versatility of the Layered with Kindness stamp set. You can find that one on page 41 of the new 2020 Mini Catalog. This set has so many great features. First off, it’s a DistINKive set. That means lots of texture in one stamping motion. Second, the set coordinates with not one, but two new punches. Third, it’s fabulous for cards, tags and gift boxes.
Did you notice I mentioned a challenge? Yep, you can enter your card for a chance in my prize drawing. Visit my WOW NOLA Creations Facebook Page and post your entry in the comment section of this month’s challenge. Good luck, can’t wait to see your creation.
I LOVE texure, interest and layers. Embossing folders are the easiest, most cost effective way to add those elements to your projects. Stampin’ Up! has a fabulous selection, both in the Annual Catalog and some great new additions in the 2020 Mini. I’ve used both the Tin Tile and Subtle 3D Embossing Folders, perfection!
I know, you’re asking yourself, where did those flowers and leaves come from. Those are from one of my new favorite die sets, Cherry Blossoms. A number of the dies both cut and emboss at the same time.
By using some of the other stamps in the Layered with Kindness set, I stamped both the inside card mat and the envelope. I love how this turned out. I’ld love to share with you how I created this card.
Here’s how the magic happens.
- Card Base – Petal Pink CS – 4 1/4″ x 11″, scored at 5 1/2″
- Embossed Mat – Pool Party CS – 4″ x 5 1/4″, embossed with the Tin Tile 3D Embossing Folder.
- Focal Mat – Whisper White CS – 3 1/4″ x 3 1/4″ and Parisian Blossoms Specialty Designer Series Paper – 3″ x 3″
- Banners – Cherry Cobbler CS – one @ 1″ x 4 1/4″, one @ 1 1/4″ x 4 3/4″ and Petal Pink CS – 3/4″ x 4″. Dove tail one end of each banner. Emboss with the Subtle 3D Embossing Folder.
- Scallop Circle – Pool Party CS – 3 3/4″ x 3 3/4″, cut with the largest scallop circle from the Layering Circle dies.
- Circle – Whisper White CS – 3 1/2″ x 3 1/2″, cut with the largest circle from the Layering Circle dies.
- Flowers – Petal Pink CS – 1 1/4″ x 4 1/4″, cut three with the dies from the Cherry Blossoms Dies. Ink the edges in Petal Pink.
- Flower Centers – Cherry Cobbler CS – 1 1/4″ x 2 1/2″, cut six with the dies from the Cherry Blossoms Dies.
- Leaves – Pool Party CS – 1 1/2″ x 2 1/4″, cut one set each of the large, medium and small leaves with the dies from the Cherry Blossoms Dies. Ink the edges in Pool Party.
- Inside Mat – Whisper White CS – 4″ x 5 1/4″
- Envelope – Whisper White
- Pearls – three large
- Champagne Rhinestones – two small
Layered with Kindness – WOW Card Sketch #3 Product List
Let me know what you think about the WOW Card Sketch series. Until next time, Create Something Beautiful!
Time to create some quick, easy and yes WOW Christmas Cards. The Christmas Gleaming Suite on pages 30-32 of the Stampin’ Up! Holiday Catalog is where you’ll want to go. The bundle alone includes not just one but two fabulous punches. Because the catalog is a treasure of ideas, you’ll want to CASE all the projects on page 30. But, today, I’ve made it really easy with my WOW Card Sketch #1 that features the Christmas Gleaming suite.
What’s so great about a WOW Card Sketch? It gets your mojo going. It’s easy to adapt to any occasion or set. I’ve used this sketch to create my Christmas Gleaming card.
Did you catch my first card that I created with the sketch? Totally different, but just as beautiful. I’ld love to share how you can take it up a notch with the sketch. I’m adding in some copper embossing and a cute technique on the berries in the holly stamp.
Ok, first off, could that paper be any more beautiful. The Brightly Gleaming DSP has been sooooo popular and on backorder a couple of times. As of this writing, it is currently in stock. But, don’t wait, add a pack or two to your next order. You’ll thank me later.
Because I used our new Shimmery Crystal Effects on the holly berries, they have loads of dimension and shine. They look so realistic and makes the focal image that much more exciting.
To finish off the inside of the card, I stamped that beautiful border in Cherry Cobbler and the sentiment in Old Olive. I love the ease of coordination in Stampin’ Up!’s product line. You can’t go wrong! As always, I’ve got a FREE video for you. Be sure to subscribe to my channel today!
Here’s how the magic happens.
- Card Base – Thick Very Vanilla CS – 4 1/4″ x 11″, scored at 5 1/2″
- Mat – Old Olive CS – 4″ x 5 1/4″
- Mat – Very Vanilla CS – 3 3/4″ x 5″
- DSP Mats – Brightly Gleaming Specialty DSP – three @ 3 1/2″ x 1 1/2″
- Label – One each in Cherry Cobbler and Very Vanilla CS – 2 1/2″ x 3 1/2″, cut with the die from Roses Dies set. Emboss the Cherry Cobbler die cut with the Tufted Embossing Folder.
- Ornament, Holly, Sentiment – Very Vanilla CS – 3″ x 4 1/4″, run embossing buddy over the surface of the card stock. Stamp all images in Versa Mark, sprinkle with copper embossing powder and heat set with the heat tool. Color the Holly image with the Dark Cherry Cobbler and Old Olive Stampin’ Blends. Apply the Shimmery Crystal Effects to the Berries. Allow the image to dry completely. Fussy cut the image. Fussy cut the sentiment and punch the ornament.
- Sentiment Mat – Old Olive CS – 2″ x 1/2″
- Sprigs – Copper Foil Paper – two @ 2″ x 2 3/4″, cut with the die from Frosted Bouquet.
Christmas Gleaming Card Product List
Thanks for stopping by, until next time, Create Something Beautiful!